Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Week 9, Thing # 22: Downloadable Audio Books


I am familiar with both Overdrive and NetLibrary as I have been involved in purchasing the subscriptions, seving on the Maryland Digital Library Consortium, etc. I did think that the Overdrive Digital Media Guided Tour was very clear and easy to follow. I checked out Project Gutenberg (I had not looked at it before), and was interested in the list of languages of the available audiobooks. This list might be useful for speakers of other languages. However, the list of titles in Spanish will appeal to only a very select audience! (Very esoteric/classic). They do have Don Quijote in Spanish, however. (I read this in college in Spanish, so might be interesting to listen to it.)
In any case, these three resources provide a wealth of listening opportunities. It provides people an alternative to using CDs or cassettes, and I hope that in the future the Ipod issue will be resolved so that the many Ipod users can benefit from our library's provision of Overdrive or NetLibrary titles.

No comments: