Sunday, July 8, 2007

Week 8, Thing #19: Web 2.0 Awards



It was really hard to decide what to explore-the list of Web 2.0 Awards was so varied and interesting. I will have to go back and check many of them out later. I decided to choose Yelp
because my husband and I are always looking for new things to do, and restaurants to try, in Baltimore.

Many of the restaurants reviewed I have been to (Tapas Teatro, The Bicycle, Helmand, the Brewer's Art) and the reviews posted were pretty good. Lots of stores and business listed, too. (Sort of like a "yellow pages"). I liked how one can narrow the search and look for stores in specific categories, like jewelry. Although this site is not exhaustive, it is a really good place to start. I think that this would be useful on the information desk when questions are asked about Baltimore shopping or dining, or if someone might be interested in moving to Baltimore as it might give a bit of the flavor of the city.

I liked the follow features:
*Easy to navigate
*Clear categories for searching
*Links to other cities

I would recommend this site, and plan on using when we make our next trip to Baltimore. In fact, I looked up the Charleston Restaurant, and it got a very good review. I was surprised that there was only one (we are thinking of taking my daughter there for her birthday when she is home visiting from London). The reviewer did say that the chef uses too much butter. Hummm-we may have to reconsider!

No comments: